Imperial Kitchen
Available only to researchers by appointment.
The imperial kitchen (the so-called hájenka) in Prague 6 - Liboc was constructed at the same time as the summer palace and the ballroom in the Hvězda nature reserve on Bílá Hora (1555-1558). It served its purpose until the end of the 16th century, in the 17th-19th centuries it was the economic background of the summer palace. In 1951 it became the residence of the Alois Jirásek Museum together with the buildings in the grounds of the summer palace. The first reconstruction was carried out according to the project of akad. arch. V. Tintěra (1968-1970).
After the return of the Strahov Monastery in Prague to the Premonstratensians (1990), the PNP lacked mainly exhibition and storage space. In connection with the change in the utilization concept of the Star Summer Palace, the use of the hájenka was reconceived. The reconstruction was carried out according to the project of ing. arch. T. Šantavý (2003-2004). A study room were built here as well as a depository for the library of Jiří Karásek from Lvovice and other library units, an exposition of the poet and collector and a study room.
The Hájenka was opened for the first time as part of the European Heritage Days with the theme “New Life in a Historic Environment” on 15 September 2005 and in connection with the 50th anniversary of the transfer of the Karásk Collection to the PNP (1955).